Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sing With Me, Sing For The Laughter, Sing for the Tears

What is it about a song that makes us love it? What makes us like the music we like? Very philosophical questions, which I ask myself now, while I listen to a little mix of songs going on here. First was Aerosmith, hence the title of this post, now I am grooving and typing to Jumping Jack Flash. I ask myself this question because I grew up listening to rock and roll, and although I love all types of music, I will always crawl back to rock n roll as my favorite. Nostalgia plays into it allot. I collect records because thats what I grew up listening to. There's nothing like the sound of Darkside of the Moon on vinyl. CD's may be better digitally, but I would give my CD's away in an instant. I can't say that about my records.

Sunshine of your Love, has just come on and I still haven't answered my questions. Music is what makes us who we are. In some way or another we relate to a certain song because of lyrics, or because we enjoy the beat. Allot of our surroundings will affect the music we listen too. It is almost like it calls to us. If we were not moved by music, it would not be the industry it is today. But what music has become, can be called souless. Nobody writes a song like Wild Horses, or Wish you Were Here. Those songs are immortal, beautiful, and classic. It just seems to many people are about the money nowadays. But with every rule there is an exception. The White Stripes, for example play a type of rock and roll that is a throw back to the way it used to be, and possibly a way rock n roll will head. Back to the roots. No one cares for Alternative anymore.....it had it's day.

Possibly I am drawn to Rock n Roll, because of the key point, It HAS a Soul. It has creativity, beauty and most of all a hook. Not all rock and roll is beautiful, some of it is just noise, but it is just an expression, hence it has a soul. Not to say that Hip Hop, Pop, and other forms of music do not have soul (especially soul music), but the main point is, early forms of hip hop and pop were ingenious because they were groundbreaking. Now it just sounds tired. How many songs can Kanye really come up with that sound like the last one he made.


Maybe I am not a realist, but rock and roll was better in the early days before the music industry became saturated by business men instead of music lovers. Like it or not, it just because a challenge to find interesting music now adays. At least I will always have Exile on Main St waiting on vinyl when I feel I have lost faith in the music industry.

No comments: